Friday, November 19, 2010

A New Determination

I'm typing this while I'm pumping.  I usually try to avoid such intimate details, but if you don't like it, don't read it.  Just a heads up, this entire post is about breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding was such a struggle with William.  In the end, we only made it about 2 1/2 months before switching over to formula.  I was so determined to work harder this time; my goal for Joy is at least 6 months.

It started out great.  Dr. McNulty keeps saying that some one forgot to tell Joy that she was a preemie.  She nursed great from the start, and gained so much weight that she's on a normal growth curve already.  Even when I first came back to work, she was still eating well, and I was pumping 3 to 4oz at a time.  And I've really enjoyed breastfeeding this time around: the time bonding with Joy, the convenience of always being able to feed her without hauling bottles around, and the savings by not buying formula.  I've been more comfortable with nursing outside of the home this time by buying a good nursing wrap and only nursing on one side so that I don't have to juggle things around so much; it's made it easier, because I don't feel trapped at home feeding my baby.

Slowly, though, my milk supply has seemed to be tapering off.  This last week, most of my bottles have only been about 2 or 2 1/2 oz.  I emailed a friend who breastfed her daughter while working fulltime, and I learned that her milk supply dried up 2 months after returning to work.  I was so discouraged after hearing that last night.

But today, since we were having a slow day at work, I got online and started doing some research.  I found  a great website called workandpump.com that has so many great tips and advice for continuing breastfeeding while working.  So I've set up a new plan of attack, and now I'm feeling super-motivated and excited to try to hit that 6 month goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment